Skip to content

Tigers stung 39-13 by Beauregard Hornets

Kentavious Powell goes up high for a pass. (Cecil Folds/The Standard)

Kentavious Powell goes up high for a pass. (Cecil Folds/The Standard)




The Greenville Tigers roared onto the field Friday night in their first game of the season and momentarily stunned the Beauregard Hornets.

The Hornets received the kick-off around their 40-yard line and on the second play of the game the Tigers recovered a Hornet fumble.

The Tigers failed to capitalize on the recovery and turned it over to the Hornets on downs . Two plays later the Hornets fumbled again and the Tigers were back in business. A 15-yard Hornet penalty put the Tigers on the 15-yard line. Then they gained another 10-yard penalty from the Hornets and on third down QB Brandon Simmons pushed over the goal line for a Tiger touchdown, which was followed by a successful PAT by Joseph Price.

The seven point lead was short-lived as an onside kick by Greenville was covered by the Hornets and in two plays they had six points on the board. The extra point tied the game 7-7 and that was the score at the end of the first quarter.

The Hornets had possession of the ball on their own 45 to begin the second quarter, and three downs later added another six points to the board.

Edward Thomas received the kick-off for Greenville and returned it to the Hornets 47-yard line. After failing to gain ground, Jeremiah Owens punted the ball and landed it perfectly on the Hornets four-yard line.

The Hornets could not come out of the corner and punted back to the Tigers on fourth down. Penalties, incomplete passes and turnovers were switched back and forth during the remainder of the second quarter, which made for an interesting game and a score of 13-7 at half, favoring the Hornets.

Downhill was the direction for the Greenville Tigers after the half. Heat, inexperience, penalties, incomplete passes and bad snaps all took a toll on the Tigers and benefited the Hornets.

The Hornet’s running back and offensive line could not be tamed by the weary Tigers. The score at the end of three quarters was 39-7.

Both teams seemed to be stalemated in the fourth quarter as it pretty much consisted of three downs and punt by both teams.

With four minutes left in the game, the Hornets received the ball on their 35-yard line and got pushed back to their 14. They attempted to punt on fourth down, but the punt was blocked, recovered by Greenville and run in for a TD, making the score 39-13.

The score remained the same until the end and the Hornets flew away with the win.

Leave a Comment