BRUCE BRANUM/THE GREENVILLE STANDARD
On Sept. 20, a storage building, two cars and a metal car shed immediately next to the house of Eugene Bush at 3117 Pineapple Hwy was destroyed by a fire. Four local fire departments responded to the call and quickly contained the fire before it could reach the Bush house.
The fire was first noticed by Butler County Sheriff’s Deputy T.L. Buford as he was driving by the property. Buford said, “The fire was so high, I immediately stopped and alerted the homeowners inside who were unaware of the fire and how large it had grown. When I told them about the fire, they wanted to try and save the two vehicles parked close to the building but I convinced them not to and that they must leave the house since the fire was so close.”
“Gene” Bush, a retired and long time business owner in the Greenville area, said, “When we got out of the house, the hood of the mini-van was on fire. There was a lot of stuff in that building, batteries, wood and propane cylinders. We were lucky it didn’t reach the house.”
Local fire departments responding were Forest Home, Greenville, Liberty and Shackleville. With a coordinated effort of fire suppression with hoses and water the fire fighters put out the blaze and began removing objects from the building which posed further possible fire hazards.